Sunday, June 12, 2011

Kitchen Sink Muffins






Now before I continue on with a fun ubber healthy recipe, I must write a disclaimer on future posts to come. First, I am a terrible speller. You know the saying that "if you read for pleasure your spelling will reflect this"; my brain must have missed the boat on this one. I heart books - more then just food magazines and vampire novels, and I have actually read Pride and Prejudice, and yet my spelling still mixes up bowels and bowls and I often misuse "your and you're". Another case in point; I'm obsessed with semi colens and commas. My brain seems to think they make the words on the page much more exciting and so it is written. Therefor if you are spelling or punctuation obsessed you can do a couple things: either have patience and laugh along with me, correct me in the comment section below, or re-visit when I have my act together - which really could be a while. I have since discovered the spell check button on here and am hopeful in future recipes I won't be asking you to get out a mixing bowel.

KITCHEN SINK MUFFINS

This weekend I felt like sticking my head in the kitchen sink and turning on the hot water. With a late night visit to the children's hospital with M to ensure he could breath through his croup, random crying, sleepless nights and more random crying (me this time) I have come up with two conclusions: (1) I am so thankful for the overpriced rocker and ottoman in M's bedroom as it has served as my bed the last 48 hours and (2) I'm in desperate need of some baking therapy. With that said; everything in me wanted to make cookies. The ooey gooey melt in your mouth scoop of sugar pound of butter double chocolate chip kind (I have a great recipe for them). But with M's cold and our busy week - I figured I should hop on the healthy train, even if it's just for a moment.

My original inspiration for this recipe was from a Women's Health issue. I thought this had some great building blocks for an ultra healthy muffin and from there these were born. This is the link to the orginal recipe http://recipes.womenshealthmag.com/Recipe/date-and-oatmeal-muffins.aspx

Cost: Now I had all of these items in the pantry already, but after breaking down the cost, and after buying in bulk; 30 mini muffins came to about 3.00. The only speciality item on here is the pumpkin seed butter which is about 5.00 for a large jar and can be purchased in in organic aisle at Superstore











**I was originally going to use butter in the recipe, but instead chose to use pumpkin seed butter that as there is no sodium or sugar in it




Recipe:



1 1/2 cup of oatmeal (I used quick oats)
1/3 cup of milk

3/4 cup of whole wheat flour

2 Tbsp of vanilla Whey protein powder
2 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of baking soda
3/4 cup of dates (about 20 or so)

1 egg

1/4 teaspoon of honey
2 Tbsp of pumpkin seed butter
1 Tbsp of ground cinnamon
1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup of carrots

1/4 cup of dried coconut

Directions:


(1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees

(2) combine oatmeal and milk in a bowl and leave to sit. In another large bowl mix flour, cinnamon, whey powder, baking soda, baking powder,







(3) Combine dates, applesauce, coconut, in a blender and blend until you get a wet pasty like substance




(4) In a separate bowl combine egg, pumpkin seed butter, honey, add the date mixture from the blender and mix these until you get a wet pasty like substance


(5) Add in oatmeal and flour mixture to completely combine





(5) Spoon batter into muffin tins and bake for 20 min until tops a slightly browned





Would I make them again: for sizzle!!! I loved that I could throw just about anything to these; providing you add enough moisture and egg to hold them together. M has already eaten three today and can't get enough!

















No comments: